Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Folk Art Tale — The Art of Karen Wyse


"I've been doing art for as long as I can remember. As a child I used to buy tiny little silk scarves called kerchiefs. They came in a multiple of colors and were very cheap - often 3 for ! I would tie all of them around my neck, attempting to make a montage! God, how I loved playing with those scarves! My childhood was poor and bleak. If I could decorate my own room with objects and color, I could be happy. Art gave me control of my world and got me through many bad situations. For a period of about 10 years I worked on a free-form concrete sculpture residing in my back yard and weighting approximately 75000 pounds. There are no right angles in this and it was formed layer upon layer upon layer. There are no pre-cast forms. It was a great time in my life and was very wonderful to work on, though I never want to see another bag of cement again! I also went through a period of making jewelry and all kinds of beaded things. I managed to cover all the windows in my house with hand-knotted beaded curtains. For the last few years I've been doing shadow-box type collage and assemblages. Also I've been indulging in large free-hanging shrines and altars that are very exciting for me. Upon finally moving out of indoor space I started working outside. I have wonderful giant oak trees and a marvelous stream for inspiration. So lately I've been building large assemblages that can hang from these trees (and also some stables fastened to the ground!) All have to be built from weather ...

Shop For Class 6 Memory Card Bread Machines Clearance Sale




0 comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Français Deutsch Italiano Português
Español 日本語 한국의 中国简体。







Sponsor Links